The Moving Steps Foundation will once again be participating in Jose Matteo’s annual Dance for World Community Festival. We will have a booth where you can come visit us and learn more about what we do; and our Executive Director, Adrianne Tabet, will be teaching a dance class. Several of our recently-released women will also be performing on the festival’s open-air stage.
The festival will take place on Saturday, June 13th from 12:00 to 6:00 pm at 1151 Massachusetts Ave. in Cambridge.
Stop by to see our dancers performance, take classes, and of course, pay us a visit!
Last night was the fourth and final performance of our major collaborative performance at SMCC, and we could not be more proud. The piece was so popular that the women did an encore, performing twice in one night! Over a dozen women participated; some acting, some dancing, and many doing both. We even had some new dance/performance lab members who turned out to be amazing at improv. And all the material used in the performance – including dances, spoken word poetry, and prose – was created by the women.
We’ll keep you updated on future performances and any revivals of this particular piece. And please let us know via our contact form, if you’re interested in attending any future performances!
Mark your calendars! Moving Steps will be premiering our major collaborative performance at SMCC on Saturday, April 25th at 1:00 pm and Monday, April 27th and Wednesday, April 29 at 6:00 pm.
Written by the women at SMCC and produced by Adrianne Tabet and spoken word performer Celia Lechtman, the piece centers around the daily lives and struggles of the women at SMCC. The piece will consist of acted scenes and spoken word poetry interspersed with dances choreographed by the women. We are so proud and excited by how many women at SMCC of such varied talents – including dancing, writing, acting, composing and staging – have come together to make this performance possible.
If you are interested in attending this performance, please contact us via the contact page on our website.
Moving Steps is currently in the process of expanding our outside program for women that have recently been released from SMCC. While we have successfully placed women in positions as dance facilitators, we are adding a dance- centric social component to further facilitate long-term success.
With several of our SMCC dancers scheduled for release this spring/early summer, we want to prepare to meet their needs for an outside support system that will aid in their transition to life beyond prison. We are establishing a Moving Steps family with regular meet-ups for dance classes, seminars and performances. We’ll be sure to keep you updated on our progress over the coming months. We’d love to hear your ideas for free classes and performance tickets.
- December 27, 2017Moving Steps Foundation inspires premiere of Moving Stories(0) Comments
- December 27, 2017See what it looks like when you teach women in prison to dance(0) Comments
- May 18, 2015Moving Steps to Perform at Dance For World Community Festival(0) Comments
- May 1, 2015SMCC Collaborative Performance a Success!(0) Comments
- April 4, 2015Dates for Major Collaborative Performance at SMCC(0) Comments
- March 2, 2015Expanding Our Outside Program(0) Comments
- February 22, 2015Script for April Performance Coming Along(0) Comments
- January 30, 2015Moving Steps Executive Director Nominated for the 2015 Purpose Prize(0) Comments
- January 13, 2015Staff and Collaborators Meet to Discuss Moving Steps' Future(0) Comments
- January 10, 2015Moving Steps Performances 1/11 and 1/15 at SMCC!(0) Comments